10.27.2009

FIGHT FOR RIGHT


"SHOOED AWAY"

Two women who were sold defective sandals by a shop-keeper fight for their right and ensure they get their money back.
It was a shoe matter, but two gutsy women refused to be shooed away by the shopkeeper who had sold defective sandals and refused to either return the money or exchange the goods sold.

It all began when Prema David, a resident of ISRO Layout , bought three pairs of sandals from Khal , a shoe store, in Jayanagar 4th Block on July 4. She paid Rs 2,097, but was shocked to find one of pairs being defective.

The next day, she tried another pair and found the strap had come off. I went to the shop-keeper to exchange the defective pair. He agreed, and when I tried out the other pairs, I found them all defective , she said.

I decided to get my money back. On July 11, I went to the shop with my friend Shobha Lolanath (a TV artiste). When I showed him the defective pairs of sandals and demanded that he return my money, he refused , Prema said.

Even as the shop-keeper screamed at the women, the other shop-keepers alleged that she had pulled the straps.

The shop-keeper was in no mood to listen. We were feeling helpless when we saw a Hoysala vehicle pass by. I approached them and explained the matter to them, said Shobha.

The police tried to reason with the shop owner. After some time, the police felt it was futile to talk to him and asked them to lodge a complaint in Jayanagar police station.

Immediately, Prema and Shobha went to the police station and filed a complaint. Subsequently , the inspector summoned the shop-keeper who agreed to return the entire amount to Prema.

COURTESY: "BANGALORE MIRROR"